Thursday, August 2, 2007

Survived the holidays

Two weeks away it feels like the world should've changed
But I'm home now
And things still look the same
I think I'll leave it to tomorrow till unpack
Try to forget for one more night
That I'm back in my flat on the road
Where the cars never stop going through the night
To real life where I can't watch sunset
I don't have time
I don't have time
I've still got sand in my shoes
And I can't shake the thought of you
I shake it all, forget youWhy, why would I want to
I know we said goodbye
Anything else would've been confused but I wanna see you again
A Dido’s sorrow song is just perfect to start writing about my past holidays that finished this week. Like Dido, I still have sand in my shoes, in the case of Greece and Croatia; I still have pebble stones in my shoes. Even harder…

Holidays were just great!
As all the plans were made to suffer changes, this holidays plan wasn’t an exception. The map from last post suffered some changes as you can see in the red line:

Due to some logistics problems that I will write about soon we had to go up part of south Italy by train to catch the ideal ferry boat to take us to Split in Croatia.

A good title to this year holiday would be: “The 3 island hoppers of the Adriatic and Ionian Seas!”

Me, André and Pedro, formed an demolishing team where fun was the main goal! The fresh new acquisition of this season brought a new breath of energy on the long summer nights.

Everything as a price… and that energy was payed by a dislocated shoulder after an acrobatic wrestling flying scissor made at a party in south Corfu already with high levels of Ethanol!

Instead of the usual chronological description of what happened, in the next days it will be told the most hot episodes of these adventures in a randomly way in this blog.

To tease my readers here are some shocking sentences said by people with whom we interacted in some way during this holidays:

“See you in another life when I’ll be a man” – said by a Scottish woman, owner of a beach bar, after a chat about woman discrimination in a macho country as Greece still is.

“This bed is good sex! I tried this bed!” – Amazing expression told by our landlord in Dubrovnik, Croatia, to “sell” us her flat and its qualities.

“4 minutes by bus, 10 minutes walking” – The biggest myth of all! When arriving to a city, locals try to rent private rooms in their houses to tourists, but they lye a lot about the good location of their houses to the city centre… After checking in our own was: 15 by bus and 25 by foot..
“Come back tomorrow for coins” – The typical trick in discos or bar in tourist resorts. After buying a water for 12 kunas (1,5€) I pay with 20 and the waitress tell me that they don’t have coins. They only work with bills… That’s what happens in markets already beaten by the American and English tourist.
“Portugal?!? Fado! Azulejos! Fernando Pessoa! Luís de Camões!” – When we say people that we are Portuguese, 95% of the cases they say something about football. Example: Are you Portuguese? Figo! Figo! Well… was with surprise that a Croatian girl, now our friend, Dina, made us smile with this sentence.

No comments: