Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Traveling "indoors"

In a long weekend of June together with some days of holidays I returned to a piece of land that I adore! Some may call it blue coast (costa azul), alentejo coast, or vicentine coast.

I love the entire south coast from Lisboa till cape of Sagres, the most southwest point of continental Europe. Still far from the mass English tourism of Algarve, but already with similar high prices, it still amazes me, like an enchantment, which makes me return there almost each year.

Since young age that Milfontes, Porto Covo and Zambujeira do Mar are family summer vacations destinations.

My first holidays without parents and the first teenager “forever” love, was in Vila Nova de Milfontes (New town of thousand fountains).

Everyone has a unforgettable summer! Some vacations that due to some special motive or not special at all, we remember as something magic. I remember that summer when with my fresh driver’s license, and a borrowed Seat Marbella from mother, I departure to adventure with 2 friends to go south along the coast camping and staying few days in each place.

A short stay in Santo André Lagoon, Melides and finally Milfontes, that was so full of summer parties that we ended up to stop our south tour and camp there the rest of holidays.

3 Friends perfect matching 3 summer loves in a small town near beautiful beaches and with a lot of action going on. These were the ingredients to success! But Milfontes is much more than that… is the ice creams tasted slowly in a night walk near the city fort with an amazing view of the river.

It’s waking up sweating like hell inside the tents with the sound of birds. The lazy beach days, the Quebramar bar, the sunsets over the lighthouse, the walks on the dunes and the long party nights.

It’s the first cuisine experiences with canned tuna, it’s the strange alcohol mixtures, and it’s the first independence steps.

Is Piano Bar, Blue Bar, Manjedoura, Southwest disco and the late night croissants in Mabi.

It’s the souvenirs shops, the sympathy of the locals and the fish and fruit market.

Milfontes was and still is this and a lot more…

Here are some photos of my last visit and warm hugh to all of those that shared that summer with me: Marco, João, Mikó, Alexandra, Milena e Ana.



Now that I’m preparing my next trip to Greece and Croatia, I ask myself again why am I going out of Portugal, with such a beautiful beaches.

Easy to reply: The pilgrim in me pushes me out to know and discover more and more beaches, so I can return and give more value to the wonderful natural beauty of my country.

I risk writing here that places like Portinho da Arrábida, praia do Malhão and Burgau make Portugal the country with the most beautiful coast in all Europe.

Thanks Zsuzsa for the amazing pics you made! See you again soon, this time where we met for first time.

No comments: