Friday, April 13, 2007

Road signs, outdoor posters


Like alot of people, also I, after read the book “The perfume”, started to give more attention to the smells. The same after reading “Da Vinci Code”, I started to look more carefully to the signs around me and their meaning.

While “surfing” trough my photo albums, I found some pics of signs, posters, warnings, that for being curious, enigmatic, different or funny, it worth’s to share them.


Of course! I start with my beloved river Tagus, that so many times was referenced here. The photo above was taken entering the city of Toledo in Spain.

In the right side Amsterdam photo, with a funny sign showing that bycicles should go one way and peons should go on the other side. Is visible that the use of signs is one thing, and another thing is if the sign is followed or respected.


"Oficina de motorizadas"??? (motobykes workshop) I don't remember this sign in my theorical driving classes!

On the right, a normal trafficjam in west south portuguese coast summer time... Not for the signs but for the big mess of cars...



The coastal zones near the beaches are alot of times neglected and needing infrastrutures like public showers or acess walking paths. Alot of them are in pretty bad shape.
On the left a wood sign indicating where is the "bathing zone", usefull, very usefull indeed. On the right a rusted metal sign in Lagos, anoucing a tour to the caves in several languages(are caves in english called gruttus?).



2 years ago when Benfica was national champion, a few games to the end of season i took this photo from a poster hanging on a private house: "With prostitution Benfica can be the Champion" (a critic to the polemic referee performances) Ilarious!

On the right, something commun in UK, but that for me was funny and useful. Geting used to look to right side before crossing is something hard when you've been all life looking to left first. Very useful for tourists!

This was taken in Prague.
It's a small alley to acess a small square of restaurants, and being so narrow, someone decided to put a pedestrian light sign to avoid "frontal clashs" between people crossing in diferent directions.
It works! I only went forward when was green and didn't face anyone until reaching the other side.
Would it work in my country?? Would people respect it? I have my doubts...

No comments: